"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Smile. Be happy. Have joy. Live.


There is a song by One Republic called "I Lived". After a time of listening to it, I wondered if I truly have been living my life the way I wanted to live it. In a religious sense I always have strived to do better each day and to follow Jesus Christ's path, but in a temporal way I seemed to be stuck in my own failed dreams and plans. I had finished a degree in the Arts and went back for a while to study Computer Science, but over time it didn't appear that I would be able to finish the degree. Working at a theater for 10 years (even if as a manager for half that time), still being single, and not having experienced much in my life due to fear of leaving my comfort zone was not the plan that I originally had. When I was younger I thought that I would be married with a kid and working an art job from home by the time I was 30 years old, but I have not accomplished any of that so far. I was troubled because I felt like a failure.

Earlier last year I walked around the temple grounds in Provo with a particular question on my mind: Father, what is your plan for me? I thought that I was doing something wrong and that is why nothing worked out the way that I wanted. The response came, "I don't care what you choose to do for work or what to do with your life, so long as you are happy." Now this doesn't mean that He wanted me to go out and spend my life in riotous living because complete happiness only comes from following our Lord's commandments, but He didn't have anything specific that I should have been doing differently. After that point, I decided that if life was not going to work out the way that I had originally planned, what is to stop me from living it to the best of my ability?

I decided to not finish the second degree and instead dedicate the money and time that I would have spent for the extra schooling to living: traveling to places that I had never been and spending the time that I had with family and friends, and working on my portfolio in order to apply for art jobs later. This included going to Disneyland with friends and riding both rollercoasters and a ferris wheel, which I had never before done due to fear. In our lives, fear is not new. It prevents us from having the joyful life that our Father wants us to have. If we listen to it, fear escalates and weakens us. When I travel to a new place or do something different, the anxiety I have does not leave, but the courage that I have becomes stronger because it destroys fear's bonds. When we choose to live and disregard the fear that we feel, we start to feel more joy. Sometimes our Father in Heaven does have a specific path for some of His children, but maybe there are many out there like me who are asked that they just choose something worthwhile and then be happy with their circumstances.

At a future time, I may be playing the game "Never have I ever" and only be able to say that I have never ridden a horse, but it is fine because I can at least say that I have lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment