"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ready, Set, Fire! No cease it. The missionaries are coming.

Dear Family, Friends, Whoever may read this... or...

To whom it may concern,

(ha ha) Wednesday this past week we ate lunch with a member, like usual, named Hermana Peña. She made us ´´cak´ik´´´, and I am not sure how to spell it but it is a soup that originally comes from Coban. It is made with turkey and tamalitos. However, I call Hermana Peña´s soup ´´cak´ik´´ from Xela because she comes from there and made it different without tamalitos and with vegetables.

Thursday a member wanted us to pass by at 11 AM but we couldn´t because we had interviews with President Broughs. Later we heard from nearly everyone we talked to about how at 11 AM a mother and daughter had been killed close to where the member lives! We´d have gone there if there hadn´t been the interviews.

Okay, and to top it off about this week, here is a journal entry:

July 23, 2011
´´Agony! When your foot is in pain, and there´s no one to help so you think you´re insane!´´
Ha ha, I wanted to create my own line based on the song ´´Agony´´ from ´´Into the Woods´´
Anyway, tonight we had an appointment at 7 PM. Our last appointment was in San Antonio and we were running late for this appointment at 7, which was in Luisa Alejandra at the opposite end of our area. As we arrived to the colony we saw a few police vehicles and then after, ambulances. Then as we approached the road we were going to enter we saw a huge mass of people standing by the entrance of the road. One of the members we found standing there told us that a man had been shot there a half an hour before. We did not have the appointment because we couldn´t pass and we didn´t find new investigators as planned but we were protected, for which I am truly grateful. This week in our area there´s been a total of 5 deaths, and two in Petapa. I´ll be beginning and finishing my time in this area with danger.

Well, there´s our super interesting experience we had this week. The area is a little more dangerous. There were several months of peace. It is kind of like the scriptures in which the people had times of peace, in which they were to prepare, and then came the wars and the afflictions, the pestilences and the famines. The people all this time didn´t want to receive us, but hopefully now. Well, other than this, and even with this, I am doing well and enjoying the ride as it goes. I am happy for the experiences I have had although some are really difficult. I know that our Heavenly Father protects us and loves us and that He provides the way for us. I want you to know that I know this is the gospel of Jesus Christ, that through faith, repentance, baptism, recieving of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end we can return once again in the presence of our Father with our families. I love you all.
Love Hermana Destinee Park   

A littler more information about her foot:  My foot... Well, that´s part of the reason why my week´s been difficult. It still hurts, but now is focused more in two of my toes. I have called the mission nurse and she just told me to keep putting cofal and heat on it and take ibuprofen, but to tell the truth I am sick of taking pills. For me, the pills literally make me feel worse sometimes, so the pain is better, although the cofal does help a bit. The nurse said she´d talk to the doctor but still hasn´t called me back; I have been waiting the call since Friday. The pain is growing worse, but I have to keep working. It sometimes seems that no one understands, and that they expect it to be something smaller than it is, although all the members have been freaking out and telling me that I have to see a doctor. However, although I am suffering a bit, I know I will make it through to the end, with or without this pain in my foot. 

Questions and answers:

What is your favorite scripture of the week? I will get back to you on that because it´s in the Bible... It mentions the temples and what there is inside, like a holy room and the baptismal font. It´s somewhere by 1 Kings, I believe, if not, than the book before.

Any new investigators, cool experiences, fun pday activities, etc… you want to  share??
Um... nope.

What was your best and worst food for the week?
I´ll write more about that in the next email.

What is something new you found out about your companion?

She loves music. We had a music night Saturday night, talking about all the music we like to listen to. It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment