"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, February 3, 2012

No longer the mission life, but on to a greater mission

It is a little strange to write into a blog, especially when it still says ''sister destinee park'' in its title, considering I am no longer a full-time sister missionary. However, writing helps a person, in this case me, to clear out the mind and put it down for everyone else to read. I have found the changes from the mission life to the regular life unusual because I still feel that I have been placed in a different time zone. Many missionaries out in the field, as they are at the point of returning home, say that they are returning ''to real life''. The truth is that once someone has served a mission they realize that we do not live in the ''real life'' because the real life is out there, serving God and not focusing on yourself.
Since returning home I have had the opportunity to re-learn a few things, make new friends, and ponder about what I will continue doing in my life. Have you ever had the feeling that you want to do something fantastic but do not know what? I often feel like that. I can sense that I have the potential to do great things but I am still unsure about which path to choose.
The scriptures say that '' by small and simple things are great things brought to pass (Alma 37:6) and I know that with my Heavenly Father's help I will be able to reach my potential. Once I explained this to someone using the example of Indiana Jones. Most of the time we cannot see what is before us but we often have to take that leap of faith. In one of the Indiana Jones movies Jones had a deep, dark chasm before him but he needed to cross to the other side. Although he saw nothing he jumped and as he landed a block lit up. He took another step and another, lighting up a path as he went.
When we cannot see what is before us we just simply have to walk forward and God will light the way. I know that He does light the way for us and prepares our way for us. I know that He will guide my future, though sometimes it is difficult to believe, but He does not forsake His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment