Last night while working with the ushers, one of them that had served a LDS mission in Mexico began to speak in Spanish. He used phrases that he had often heard in Mexico, and one of these phrases was "Papi, mi papi," which translates to a little child saying "daddy, daddy" and trying to get his father's attention.
This morning my thoughts were drawn to my own father. Being a manager at a theater has taught me valuable lessons and has strengthened me in various ways. I have learned to have more confidence, to speak up in front of large groups to notify them about minor issues that we are working on, and to lead more by example. However, perhaps one of the greatest things I have learned is to appreciate my dad. Over several months of learning more about other managers, I have noticed that the general manager occasionally comes in and tells us about how he missed an activity he was to do with his son, or sometimes he comes in on a day he isn't working and spends time in his office when he probably should be spending time with his family.
My dad had to be out of town many times for work throughout my life, but he would be present for our achievements or for our competitions. He and my mom would take us camping where we would spend three days to a week of family time together. He was around to teach me life skills such as repairing drains, broken-down machines, fixing parts of the car, gardening, and bits of carpentry and metal and duct-work. He taught me how to play baseball, how to golf, how to shoot and aim a gun, and how to fish. He showed me how to work hard, to keep going even if I got hurt, and to stay silent when complaining was perhaps acceptable. Any experience I've gained from leadership positions and lessons I've learned from great leaders can never top what I've learned at home. I know it is still much early for Father's Day, but it is always necessary, I feel, to let those you love know how much you appreciate them. Dad, I am grateful to have you in my life. I love you, and Happy (early) Father's Day!

No comments:
Post a Comment