I traveled to Salt Lake City this weekend for a temple sealing of one of my friends to her husband. The journey was relaxing and I could look at the scenery as I rode on the front runner. I enjoyed Salt Lake City as I was there, especially my time on temple square, and the experience I had inside of the temple strengthened my testimony that families can live eternally together.
However, my time there was also bitter-sweet in that it reminded me of the painful process of forgiveness. I thought about those rare occasions when someone takes something extremely precious away from you, as had happened once to my friend, but which helps us human beings to understand better the repentance process and to know about God's great merciful plan for us. I considered the pain I felt upon being rejected by someone I thought was a friend a couple of years ago and took a long time to forgive. Finally, I was reminded about a more recent experience in which another friend had made plans with me and others, but he ditched us at the last moment in order to spend time with a girl that probably wouldn't have done the same for him. With this and similar experiences over the course of several weeks, I had to relinquish all of the anger within me and forgive quickly so as to not hurt our friendship. Forgiving is difficult, but the peace that comes from doing it is greater than any pain that we may have felt. We are taught, "And ye shall also forgive one another your trespasses; for verily I say unto you, he that forgiveth not his neighbor's trespasses when he says that he repents, the same hath brought himself under condemnation (Book of Mormon, Mosiah 26:31)." Also, in the same book of scripture, and in the gospel of Matthew, Christ tells us, "For, if ye forgive men their trespasses your heavenly Father will also forgive you;
But if ye forgive not men their trespasses neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Why is it important for us to forgive and repent, though? We should be able to live our lives as we want, offend others freely, and allow our pride to rule us, right? Actually, repenting and forgiving are means of healing. When we repent we are allowing God to help us change our nature to align with His will and to heal us from all hurt, frustration, mistakes, and low-living. When we forgive we are letting love enter our hearts, replacing any enmity we feel toward another person. Repenting and forgiving are refining actions. I have in a small notebook I carry with me a note that refers to a parable about a carpenter and wood. I did not write down exactly what the parable was, but I believe it is something like this:
A man, fit to be king in this world because he was one of the great and noble spirits of the spirit world, was given his choice of occupations by God. The man chose to be a carpenter, a humble and tiresome type of work, but one that he felt he should do. He was sent to earth and grew up in the most humblest and poor of circumstances, and learned throughout his life the trade of the carpenter. In his adulthood he became a well-known carpenter and his work was endless. Each day he would take the pieces of wood of all shapes, sizes, and types, and he would carve and smooth and fashion the pieces into beautiful objects, each with a purpose and a use.
The man in the parable is our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He takes each one of us and fashions us into something wonderful, chipping and carving away at us. When our pride and follies get into the way of our progression, Christ allows us to stumble, and then it is up to us to either repent of our own weaknesses or to forgive others for their weaknesses. We are to change and to improve, but we cannot fully do that if we will harden our hearts.
No comments:
Post a Comment