Hello family,
So this fever I wrote you about continued the rest of Monday and then Tuesday, and then wednesday and thursday, and friday as well. One week! Each time I coughed during this time, my head hurted. It´s terrible to be ill. I still have a cold, but luckily no fever.
Two repeating thoughts stayed with me during this time. The first, I wish I was home, with sun (it was so dark and rainy) and mom and dad and family and a bath tub. I have never wanted to give up so bad, but at the same time I had no desire to give up. It was difficult to eat much of anything so Tuesday I bought a can of fruit cocktail and a cup of noodle soup I could make. The second thought was to go out among groups of people and preach soap-box style (standing on a crate or platform), calling people to repentance and telling them to soften their hearts and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ. The people have hardened hearts and blinded minds like in the scriptures. They refuse to pray to know the truth and deny all of our words. Those who accept us have large problems in their lives, concerning not understanding why we do not pray to Mary, the law of chastity, refusing to believe there is only one true church. We have taught in nice manners but, again like the scriptures, they esteem all as naught. However, the active members are fantastic and are truly converted.
I am very grateful for the letter Kanna (her nick name for her sister) sent. I really needed it Monday night, especially with all that has happened lately. I received the letters before email but did not read them until afterwards. I am glad Kade is doing well. He´s grown much spiritually. I had to save Kiana´s lettter until night time because her letters always make me cry because they say what I need to hear. I forgot to tell you, but when Elder Crosby gave me the blessing last monday, he began in English and then changed to Spanish after the first sentence. I thought it was cool because Spanish basically has become my language. I only use English in times of frustration.
We had divisions for Wednesday, thursday, and friday. For these divisions, senior companions went to the capacitación. I went back to La Justo!!! I was still ill throughout that time so I didn´t get to do much teaching. Much of the time I was ill I felt as if part of me was not thre, like I was partly in a coma. I could respond to questions and could see or act but everything was disoriented and I didn´t have much of any reaction. One of these days at La Justo I stayed the day with the Bishop´s family while my two companions went to work in the Vasquez. It was a little awkward at first but I got some rest and for lunch ate a tamale. The tamales are delicious. It was also funny because the two boys entered the house after I was put in a bedrrom to rest so when Hermana Cux came to check on me the boys were scared because they didn´t realize I was there.
On Friday we returned to Comalapa. We had very poor luck on the weekend, but it didn´t rain which was good because I was still ill. The nurses sent me with lots of medicine. I got to watch conference Sunday. I guess we could have watched it saturday too but we worked instead and found three families to teach. Hermana Benavides went with another Hermana in our zone to watch conference in spanish and I and Hermana Garcia went to the stake center to watch it in English with the Gringos. She says hi, by the way.
So the week was busy because we walked a lot and tried to teach people but every time we try finding someone we don´t have much luck. I feel like a failure as a missionary because our dats don´t show anything. Anyway, the packages finally arrived. Thank you mom and Sister Anhder. It´s always fun to receive things.
Well, it has become much easier to contact after the illness because still it seems as if something is missing and I have less fear. When I talk, it is with power and I stop thinking for myself. I actually like that feeling. We learned a little more of Kaqchikel, but I will have to use it later. I want to write an email to kiana. I love you all. I will write to you next week. Adios!
And more from a personal email to me answering some of my questions:
Hi mom. We watched sunday sessions of conference and worked saturday. We will get the liahonas next month. I stayed a few days with the nurses in La Justo and feel better now. But some things that are terrible can be blessings. P days depend. Sometimes we stay in Comalapa, and other days like yesterday we go places. Yesterday we went to a campground to watch the elders play futbol. On normal days we wake up at 630 and have to be in by 9 at night. We have a water heater for the shower. Sometimes bits of dirt come through the showerhead, so I don´t know if I am ever really clean, but let´s hope so. I don´t know how we receive water, other than we pay the city for it. At night I am cold. It gets really cold here.
That´s funny buddy caught a bug for kiana. Hermano Juanito thinks I am skinny but I haven´t lost or gained any weight. If I did it is in my arms from the bus rides. Well, I have got to go. I will try getting more pictures to send when the time comes. The package came. I love you much. I haven´t baked anything new but I will let you know when I do. Adios. Love desty
And some additional information from a letter to her sister:
I actually didn´t have a baptism. We had some dates set for people, but they are unable to keep them. However, there will be a baptism on the 9 in La Justo! So I guess you can count it as a baptism for one of my investigators.
No comments:
Post a Comment