Destinee asked last week if there was any earthquake activity in Guatemala because she had felt tremors twice. Here is what I found out: On 10/15/10 there was an earthquake. It was a 5.0 magnitude and was 55 km (35 miles) W of Escuintla, Guatemala 70 km (45 miles) SSE of Quetzaltenango, Guatemala 95 km (60 miles) WSW of GUATEMALA, Guatemal. It never even made the news........
She also mentioned that she would get a picture of her with Hermano Juanito who thinks she is skinny and asks her if she is doing okay. She wrote in a previous email that "he is a little old man (4´6´´) who refers to me as the Cancha or Canchita, a name which means a person is very fair or whiter. He is always worried about whether I am eating or if I am ill. He and his sister are fascinated with the canchitos, though I don´t know why. He is an active member but loves visits from the sister missionaries because we sing to him. The first time I saw him it was just a silhouette of him and he reminded me of a chinese kung fu master because he has a big sombrero."
Well, today we get to see Hermano Juanito:
And here is Destinee's email for today:
Yeah, I haven´t received a dear elder for 2 weeks and doesn´t look like we´ll get them this week either. Changes didn´t affect me. I am still here. And hermana benavides is still my companion. No one left from our district except elder crosby. Now he is back in Salt Lake City, but the rest of us are still in the mountains.
Yay! I am hermana karate. (the father of one of the sisters in Destinee's area calls Destinee that after the incident with the man on the bike) Check that out. Ha ha, yeah for hermana garcia it was a drunk guy, from what she told me. We´ve had many interesting things in the chimal area. A couple of years ago there were elders in Comalapa, but they took out the missionaries for a year and a half because one of these elders got in trouble with one of the members, or rather they found him with her. Before that there were Hermanas, but one of the hermanas was found to be in a relationship with a man that has an obsession with North American girls. We ran into him in the street one day and Hermana Benavides introduced me to him as Hermana Park from England. She didn´t know why she lied, but sometimes perhaps there are reasons we do things like that... For example, Nephi who had to kill Laban.
With cooking there is no problem. If I don´t have something made, I make it up. I had to improvise on making some foods and they´ve turned out great. The corn is ripe... and black. I´ll send a picture. Hermana Benavides doesn´t think it is ripe because everyone of Comalapa says it won´t be ripe until may, but the corn is full and heavy, and I don´t think it will stay up too much longer. What says you? I thought it tasted good too. Unfortunately, we need more vegetables. Corn doesn´t count, nor onions. I plan to buy some vegetables soon because I am going crazy. Well, I will try sending the other pics. Love you!
Well, I couldn´t upload pics because my camera needs new batteries. But next week.

No comments:
Post a Comment