In answer to my email:
Here it is getting colder. They say the cold months are from November to February. Here we celebrated Halloween on our own. They don´t celebrate it in most areas of Guatemala although it is recognized, but I have heard that in Xela they celebrate it by dressing up in costumes to scare people and having parties. For our Halloween we made carmel, chocolate-covered apples and we bought a ayote... it is basically a green pumpkin. We have that type of squash in Utah, I believe. It´s insides are like spaghetti squash. Hermana Benavides was excited to carve a face in the squash, and I was excited because I have more vegetables I can eat. We haven´t had many, but first I found the corn out back ready, then we decided to cook the Wiski (this is kind of like a potato, like a turnip when cooked, and is green when raw), and finally I had the excuse to buy squash. Yay! Today is Day of the Saints, but it isn´t like a halloween or anything. They just celebrate the saints.
For the corn they plant it in april and it is ready in december or something... not sure. I don´t know much about how long it takes. I just know how to check because that´s how dad and grandpa park taught me. Don´t know much more.
And Destinee's email for today:
We now have a goal to contact at least 10 people each day. Although it appears low, it is difficult to do when running to the next cita. (from her journal: We helped with an attack of area in Parramos, where we contacted and received 7 references for the elders there. It was awesome)
Last pday we went to the mission home and had an activity with the sisters and Hermana Baldwin. We made lasagna and had lunch. This all will sound choppy, tal vez, sorry about that. Also last week we were talking one night with one of the sisters of the rama, Melissa Xocop. A truck came toward us and one of her sons, Pablo, cried out ´Vamos a morir!´´ (We are going to die) We had a good laugh that night.
Oh yeah, we celebrated halloween friday night because saturday was a zone fast and sunday we had divisions.
Hermana Garcia came with me to Comalapa. We had much fun because not only did we work hard, but we also had Hermano Emanuel accompany us and the three of us discovered a new area of Comalapa. Also hermana Garcia wanted help with her pronunciation so it was fun to hear her say words and have the corrections, if needed, from Emanuel.
Okay, running out of time. Did you receive the photo of Hermano Juanito? I´ll probably send it again. Also, sad news, but the familia Ramirez is going to move! wah. Yuri Ramirez usually accompanies us to the citas. Their family is great, but sadness now.
So one day I will be able to have this memorized and know enough kaqchikel to share all of my testimony in it, but this will suffice for now.
Rinin tacoxela chin ri ru kajol ri ajaw, Jesucristo. Rinin oyon roma ri chin nib´ij ru ch´ab´el. Roj oj kajol ri ajaw. Rin wetaman chi ri rochoch ajaw chin Jesucristo ri los Santos de los Ultimos Dias ja rija kitzij. Jesucristo vive y es nuestro salvador. Pa ru wi ri a kajol Jesucristo, amen.
Love you. Bye
Something cool from a journal entry she sent:
´´Oh that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with a voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.´´
This is from Alma 29:1-3. I think this is the desire of every missionary. Alma continues, ´´I am a man, and do sin in my wish for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.´´
Instead of looking to that which we do not have- that which we lack, we have the responsibility to use what we have and make something with it.

No comments:
Post a Comment