"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Platana, hiding talents, and singing for Elder Fallavera

Yay! Buddy sounds like a good name. It takes about a week and a half for normal mail and a few days for Dearelders. At dominoes I could only eat 2 smaller pieces and then I was full. The rice and beans and change of diet make it harder to eat americanized food I suppose. I really like the frijoles here because they are my favorite type of bean: black. They have some interesting food here. I try not to eat the chicken so much because we have way too much of it, but we have lots of vegetables and rice. There is an interesting sort of food that is popular here that a lot of the North Americans didn´t like or want to eat at first, at least for the first few weeks. More of them are eating it now. It is a fried Platana. It is pretty good. The first few bites were strange when I first ate it, but I like it much now.

Our calling involves... Well, we had to make it up because we are the first ones. We had to come up with the ideas and write down what we wanted to do for it, and then President Steimle cleaned it up for the leadership papers. We have to enforce the rules and watch after the sisters, get information to them, we welcomed all of the new sisters, and we have interviews with them so we can set goals for them. We are kind of like AP`s but for the sisters. The new missionaries are cool- both the north americans and the latinos. Everyone is really friendly. There are 2 elder garcia`s that we met that are brothers. There are quite a few of the latinos that speak english too. A few were stranded for a while. The last sister to come in was Hermana Phillips because she was stuck in Texas. I was going to say, Happy Birthday, and then I kept forgetting to write it down in all the letters I sent. I am glad it was fun.

It is hard to write in english or speak english and then spanish. We haven´t been so diligent as a district with keeping the rule not to speak english. But then someone shared a scripture in DyC 60:2-3,7 {But with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, but they hide the talent which I have given unto them, because of the fear of man. Wo unto such, for mine anger is kindled against them.  And it shall come to pass, if they are not more faithful unto me, it shall be taken away, even that which they have. And in this place let them lift up their voice and declare my word with loud voices, without wrath or doubting, lifting up holy hands upon them. For I am able to make you holy, and your sins are forgiven you.} and we were called to repentance. 

I have had a lot of spiritual experiences over the past week. Our first interviews with the sisters we didn´t have anything planned but during the interviews both me and hermana pond said the same thing to the sisters. I know with certainty of the truth of the scripture: D y C 100:6. {For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say.} The spirit will tell us the things we must say to others. Also I came across 2 Nephi 33:10-11{And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good. And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness.}
I am running out of time so I will send a story through the letter to Kiana. Esta iglesia es verdadera y soy llamado por Dios para servir la gente de Guatemala. El Espíritu nos dirá las cosas necesitamos decir. Sé que José Smith fue un profeta y que el Libro de Mormon es verdadero y contiene las palabras de Dios. En el nombre de Jesucristo, amen. I love you all and will write again soon. Love Destinee   

A few minutes later she sent an additional email.

Last night Elder Fallavera (not sure if that´s how it´s spelled) and his wife came to speak to us. Elder Fallavera is in the first quorum of the seventy. We got the chance to sing for him. Our choir group was composed of mostly the new north americans, 4 latino elders, 1 latina sister, and hermana pond and I, with two elders from the other older district- one playing the piano and one conducting us. We sang the EFY melody "As sisters in Zion and Armies of Helaman" but in spanish. It was an awesome experience. I can´t wait until I get to send home pictures but it might be a while... not sure. Buena Suerte todos!

Here is a picture of the Guatemala MTC President and his wife, President and Sister Steimle

                                 And a picture of the 
               Centro de Capacitación Misional Guatemala

                                    And the cocina

No comments:

Post a Comment