Everyone says that it gets colder in January here but so far it´s been really warm, almost too warm.
Well, for New Years the Guatemalans have bands playing from night to morning or from morning to night, and there are fireworks all night long as well. For us, we spent the day teaching and contacting, and then New Years Eve night we finished off by having dinner with the Family ******, the hermana is active, but her husband and 2 sons are inactive. (the oldest son (21) has come to church recently and often, and the youngest son (18) came sunday). There were snacks like nachos and apple salad and marshmallows, and punch, and for the dinner we ate rice with seafood. Now, about seafood, we cannot eat it here, but the seafood she had was from a bag that was made by a larger company so it was safe to eat. Oh, and in this mixture of seafood there was crab, shrimp, I believe pieces of oyster, squid, and octopus. It wasn´t much but that was the first time I tried octopus. Anyway, after that they had cake for us to eat too. For this day, most of the buisnesses are closed too.
I have felt better lately without the headaches and without a cold. And I need to take the vitamins more often... I forget.
Personally I like tamales made from corn instead. The rice outside is more jello like so they aren´t as good. But for the 1st we were invited to eat with the family Sotz and Xocop and they made us paches! Paches are made from potato instead of corn or rice, and there were chiles in the paches also, which made it even better.
From those I have tried, this would be the order from favorite to less favorite:
Paches
Tamales of corn
Chuchitos
Tamales of rice
Black tamales
As you can see, paches are very good, and black tamales... only if you like food really sugary.
They are already asking!? Weird. (in reference to people asking when Destinee returns) I am not ready to return yet so I plan to stay out here longer... even if my knees begin to hurt more... which they have. I think it is a combination of how I sit and the cold weather that causes them to bother and hurt me, but it isn´t too common and is only for a few minutes. But as long as I am careful I will be all right and won´t come home for nothing, even though I love everyone there at home.
I know there was a reason I was called here to serve in Comalapa. We have started the move to bring back the inactive members to the church, and have succeeded nearly in bringing 2 of these back, as well as one of the families with joint effort of the branch. There is always a reason why we are called to where we are called. So how were your experiences from the new year? Did all of you stay up late?
Well, now I will read dad´s email to me. Thank you ty for the letter and mini-message. I found a post office also so I will try to send some letters soon. I love you all. Have a good week.
Hug buddy for me and tell him I can´t wait to play with him and tell kiana to be good and watch for something for her in the mail.
Tell Tyler to drink orange juice although he doesn´t like it and eat soups, and tell dad to not work too hard. Love you mom!
| pan dulce in the shape of a lizard |
| We had divisions between all the sisters in the mountains so Hermana Rubio came to Comalapa with me |
| the painting I (Hermana Park) am working on |

No comments:
Post a Comment