"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, January 10, 2011

Today is tidbit and question/answer day

I asked Destinee questions today.  Here are the questions and answers:

How was your week?  What new thing did you learn?
My week was good. We did much walking and inviting people to come to church, we traveled all over Comalapa in the pueblo and even to one of the aldeas where I met one of the inactive members. We also met another inactive member that we had thought we had met, but the guy we talked to before was actually a different person so we cleared things up with that this week. We went to the site for the church, where they plan to build the church when there is a high enough attendance and there we prayed to receive help with the mission work. Later in the week I read a conference talk that mentions how Brigham Young declared Utah to be the place to build the church and many didn´t believe. Many in the mountains believe that the people are hardened, and although many are, I believe that one day Comalapa will be like Utah. It will grow. I learned that even though we have faith, sometimes we have to wait for the miracles. They don´t come immediately.

Who are your new contacts?  Anything interesting about them?
Um, well, we made many contacts but only found one new investigator this past week. His name is Ismael and is a 18 year old son of inactive members. We will try to return and talk to him and his family. Nothing really interesting, just like everyone else they speak Kaqchikel.

What did you eat this week?  What was your favorite thing?
This week there were lots of things we ate. Most days we ate pasta or sandwiches, tacos, and the like. We ate at Hermana Curuchiche´s house monday and had rice, broccoli, and steak. I guess my favorite thing really is to eat tortillas with peanut butter. It is a good little meal.

Describe the scenery around where you live.  What do you like about it?  What don't you like about it?
The scenary is kind of like  Utah. The climate is similar but less extreme, but the mountains are filled with the same kind of trees. What I like about it is that I feel at home here. The mountains are wonderful. What I don´t like about it is that it reminds me of home.

What did you do for P-day today?  give details.
Oh, last week? Well, our pday is tuesday and we went to Antigua for 3 hours and then returned to Comalapa for a cita. I´ll give details in another email.

What is your favorite scripture you studied this week?
My favorite scripture I studied this week'? Well, I have been reading in 3 Nephi and I like chapter 7:15- 19, in which I place my own name instead of Nephi.

How was Church?  What is a typical Sunday like for you?
Church was good. Sundays we wake up at 5:30, I eat breakfast, get ready, we leave at about 7 and sometimes meet with the youth at the church or we go and try to wake up everyone and remind them of church. We gather everyone we can and then have church. I lead the music, sister benavides plays the piano. Sometimes we have less than 40 people and other weeks more than 40, but less than 65. After we return home to eat lunch and then leave to work all day long, visiting people.

What did you learn about your companion this week?  If nothing, then learn something!
I did learn something from her, no worries. I just can´t remember exactly, but always she tries to be bold and brave and tries to talk to families.

Any Baptismal prospects?
Heck ya! Jorge Muñoz will be baptized this week.

Who was the most influential person to you this week?
The most influential person... hm... I will get back to you on that.

Now for the tidbits:
here goes my mini summary of this week.
So for pday we went to Antigua and us sisters went to shop for shoes for Hermana B and print photos. The elders went and played pool. The elders played pool in a bar, a member walked in and saw them, called the counselor of the stake president, who then called the stake president, and the stake president called president baldwin. Everything happens in the zone of Chimaltenango. We have a punishment now that we cannot leave our areas, even within the zone, but that's okay because changes are in 2 days and Comalapa has everything Antigua has. (oh oh!  I am sure the Elders were just naive about this being a problem)

Well, as we were leaving from Antigua we met two young men from the states who called out, "hermanas!". They are from Las Vegas but are now living in West Jordan. It was easy to tell that they are members of the church.

We are finding more inactive members. 

And here is a Journal Entry:
January 8, 2011
Imagine this: today on our way back from visiting the family Chacach I saw a tuk turn the corner quickly and it tipped over on its side. I didn't see much else after but I doubt anyone was hurt. Speaking of the Chacach, we finished the lesson with Brother Chacach with him praying. I asked him to pray specifically to know that the church is true. He failed to do so, so I asked him to pray again but the second time to ask specifically. It was a cool experience because after, the spirit was present to testify and as we left everything was silent.

 And Pictures:  "The first is of a church in Antigua... or ruins of it. The second photo is of elders Cese and Black jumping out of Subways, and the third is of our district"





No comments:

Post a Comment