Last Tuesday we watched a movie as zones villa Nueva and Villa Hermosa (these two are not part of the capital), which was The Other Side of Heaven.
(A family) had problems this day and the oldest daughter came to find us. She told us of how her step mom (she´s only daughter of the father) had been beating the second oldest daughter. (A child), of 8 years, ran to bring the police. We couldn´t go and do anything, we told her. Then later when we saw her again with her dad and two of her brothers, they told us of how this mom had caused problems before. They told us of how a cousin had violated the oldest son, who is 11 years old, and how the mom told her son to lie about the experience to the police. Oh, the ugly things we hear. Each day I see those little children, I wish there was some way I could help them, yet there is nothing really. They see us as a type of relief from their home life and when we visit them they are excited we are there. It is sad to see these things.
Tuesday also, Hermana Elvir found a scorpion by my bed and sealed it in a box. Later we found a jar to put it in. It lived without oxygen for several days. Sunday the jar rolled off the table and broke, and the scorpion ran outside. Then Hermana Elvir killed it.
March 26, Saturday, Maricella was baptized.
| baptism of Mari. Eduardo, mission leader baptized her. He has 22 years also, and his bday is 16 days earlier than mine. He has a twin. They served in Honduras and Nicaragua. |
I gave a talk Sunday. I planned one talk on being a master teacher- like a teacher instead of just a missionary, but gave another talk about faith. I astonished many in the ward because they didn´t think I could speak spanish, but I guess I spoke well Sunday.
Anyway, not much else has happened. It´s been a boring week really. There hasn´t happened anything about the mareros either. I´ll send pics now. Oh, we have divisions this week and I will be going back to San Cristobal for a day. And this morning in district meeting I gave the prayer in kaqchikel.
I love you. Have a great week, and don´t forget about me and kade too much. We are still living, I promise.
And send my greetings to Grandma and Grandpa and cousins and aunts and uncles and ward members.... Speaking of which, if there is time I will write something for the primary. Love Desty
And some other tidbits from the reply to my email:
The funny thing about the foods is that they are made with things that are normal to us, but are more expensive. For example, platanos, beans, flour of corn. But they are fun to make and have a bit of a difference than what we are used to. Hermana Elvir showed me how to make tortillas easier.
| food we made, with fry bread, mango, avocado, fried yucca, and refried beans |
Steven (last week's Baptism) is only 17 years old but he is already looking to the future and saying how he´s going to go on a mission, marry a return missionary, and all of his children and grandchildren will be members. It is cool to see how the gospel has effect on people.
No comments:
Post a Comment