"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I am in zone Chimaltenango, in the area of Comalapa

I still haven´t gotten the package so still waiting. I did register (mine) so that the pen would not cause problems. That´s so awesome Kade got to be there for the baptism, and his pants helped. So I am in my new area now. I am in the mountains!!!!! I am in zone Chimaltenango, in the area of Comalapa.
Here is a picture of Compalapa I was able to pull off the internet for now

It is so beautiful here. There are trees and fog, and spiders. Ha Ha. I actually haven´t seen too many insects and it is better having spiders than cucarachas. It gets pretty cold in the morning and night. I met Hermana Garcia. She is from Honolulu, and she`s in my zone. I forgot to tell you those in my last district: District leader Elder Hansen, Elder Richards, Elder Gonzalez, Elder Calta, Hermana Angel, Hermana Rubio, and then Hermana Earl and I. This new district I didn´t know many. Just Elder Crosby. He´s the district leader.

My new companion is Hermana Benavidas. She´s from Texas but her parents are from Mexico and Guatemala. She speaks mainly in Spanish to me but doesn´t know all of the words still so she speaks spanglish. She entered the MTC the same time as me, but like Elder Flores, she went straight from the three weeks at the MTC to the field. This last change I had the opportunity to finally meet Elder Flores, and also Elder Melville. He was pretty excited to see me because he had been waiting after my letter to him for me to come to Guatemala.

This area I am in is very beautiful and reminds me of camping in the mountains. The people are very based in the indigenous ways. The women wear corte, which is the type of fabric you´ll see in some of the photos that is very colorful and made with different patterns. I think I will buy some skirts here of it because it is más barato aqui, whereas other places it is very expensive. It is neat seeing the difference in cultures here in Guatemala. I had expected one type of culture from all I read beforehand, but everything cannot be explained because each place is very different.  

Here in Chimaltenango, they speak Kechikel and I will get to learn how to say some things. I don´t know what else to write about the new area... but how´s Kiana doing with school? I received letters that I haven´t read yet. It seems to be two weeks of letters. Mail is reliable for sure, but it is slow.

Hermana Benavidas taught me how to make something delicious. It is just a normal sandwich on white bread made with ketchup, mayo, mustard, and ham, but on the outsides, it is covered with a mixture of pancake and eggs and then grilled or fried or whatever in a skillet. Then we put powdered sugar on top. It sounds weird but it is good. 

It is really cool seeing how many people I have met and been a part of their lives. I had the opportunity to see that when I left La Justo. Well, I am going to write kiana and kade in the time I have left, but I love you all. Keep pressing onward. Si edificamos en el evangelio de Jesucristo, no vamos a caer porque su evangelio contiene las cosas que necesitamos para luchar contra Satanas. Suerte a todas. Adios hasta la proxima semana.
Hermana Destinee Park



No comments:

Post a Comment