"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What´s coming up on next week´s episode?

 Well, to tell the truth, the changes.

Dear Family,
Tuesday was the birthday of my companion. I called the elders of Petapa early and they brought a cake as a surprise for my companion. It wasn´t a surprise for me, but for her it was awesome. I took pictures. I couldn´t leave my companion so had to depend on the elders to do the work.

Wednesday we had our Super pday at  Las Colinas, Chimaltenango. It was cold. The air was like the mountains of Utah in October or November, or Yellowstone. I played volleyball and soccer, and had to run downhill after the ball twice into a mini valley.- It gave me much exercise. The second time I ran down, I couldn´t see the ball, so I knelt to pray. One of the sisters waiting wasn´t reverent and yelled down, ´´way to go Hermana Park. Pray!´´  I found where the ball was hiding. After lunch I played relay games. In one of these games each of 6 people on a team has a number. The number called from both teams runs to th e middle to grab a bottle and carry it back to his or her team before the other team´s number tags them. One of the times I was called I ran to tag the other person (so their team wouldn´t receive a point) and was running too fast that I couldn´t stop. I crashed into the wall.

Thursday we contacted in the morning a family and I asked them if they´d like to be together as a family forever. The man answered and said, ´´Ahorita no. Estamos apurados.´´ (´´Not right now. We are a little in a rush.´´) I didn´t know what to say. What a strange answer.

Friday my companion felt really ill so we were in the  house all afternoon. It was a little boring.
Saturday and Sunday were normal. This week on Tuesday we will have an activity with Hermana Baldwin and all the sisters of the mission. We are going to ´´breakfast´´ and then after to lunch. Wednesday we are going to have divisions so I will have to tell you about these events next week.  

The climate has been hotter here lately. I am glad I am not in the coast. Here there are men that are beginning to call out rude things to me, like they did in Comalapa. I didn´t have any problem in my first change here, but now I am. It makes me angry when the men here call out, spanish and english ´´Canchita bonita´´, ´´Hey baby, I love you´´, and things like that. Last night as we were entering the residence, there were a few men leaving. Some of them had been drinking and smoking and one of them almost hugged Hermana Gaitan. I snapped at the man and said ´´Dejala´´, or ´´Leave her´´. He didn´t do anything in the end. It makes the work harder for me because I lose trust in the people. When I lose trust in the people I don´t have the desire to contact. Maybe there is something I have to learn from all of this, but whatever it is I haven´t found out yet. I don´t know what it would be.

Well, I have been feeling ill  lately, more physically than spiritually. I have a cold and my throat hurts. I have been taking medicine but it doesn´t help much. My body some days feels weak and sore. Instead of exercising, most days I stretch only. This morning I did do exercises. Spiritually I am happy and can see positive results in the missionary work, although they aren´t the results I would like. Nevertheless, I know that someday I will see the results. I am happy.

´´The rains may fall hard,
the sun so burning shines,
but following the Lord and His love,
I really am doing fine.´´
(another poem I just barely wrote)

I testify that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ´s true Church. He has prepared the way for us to find relief. The only thing he requires of us is that we turn to him. The Book of Mormon guides us and like the Bible testifies of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. This record of scriptures was translated by the power of God through Joseph Smith, the prophet called to begin this last dispensation. We do not worship Joseph Smith; he was only a prophet, a tool of the Lord, but a man who knew his purpose. The Father has a great work to bring to pass here in this earth and we are the tools to do it, not only the missionaries but every member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If we find our purpose, we will find joy. I share all of this, as well as the testimony demonstrated by all that I am doing here in Guatemala, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.  

Destinee will be calling for Mother's Day today.

I knew that Sunday was Mother´s day, but I don´t know how to do the call. There is a number that I have to dial first, and also we had fixed appointments to find new families Sunday, but I will call Tuesday. Tuesday is Mother´s day here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment