"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, August 15, 2011

Aloha Oi, Aloha Oi

Dear Family,
WOW! So I had changes, but before I tell you about that, last Tuesday we got together one last time as a zone and the elders played soccer. I would have played if they had said anything about it, but they didn`t so I just focused on writing in the baggys of other missionaries and having them write in mine.
 



Well, the changes were exactly how I thought they would be. I had changes to the Coast! I am now in La Gomera, which is the hottest area of the mission, but it isn`t too hot. It is like Utah during the summer right now but with humidity. It feels nice sometimes and other times it feels too hot, but I am adapting. 
 
 
It is so beautiful here. It is like I am in paradaise because it is pure tropics. Grandma would love it here. There are coconut trees and other trees of strange fruits I have never heard about. I have also seen starfruit trees. 
 


 
The coast is about 3 and a half to 4 hours away from the capital. In our area there are frogs, bats, lizards, geckos (occasionally in our bathroom), and I have even seen an owl. Also there are iguanas. They sometimes enter the house. I have heard that the people eat them but we have never been served iguana yet. 
 

 
We have two areas, which are La Gomera and Sipacate. One can see the ocean from Sipacate, or rather it is by the ocean. I still haven`t seen it but I have heard it. Hopefully I will see the ocean Tuesday. 
 
My companion is Hermana Marin from Washington. She`s awesome. She has 10 months in the mission and doesn`t speak Spanish (fluently), but she always talks to the people and that`s what is important. It`s weird also because we are the only companionship of sister missionaries that have two ``Gringas``, or missionaries from the states.
 
Something interesting about the coast is that Santa Lucia, the zone, does not have a stake, but rather it has a district. Just about every area has branches. There is a possibility to have wards but there are a lot of inactive members. 
 
It doesn`t rain often here, but it`s been raining somewhat since I have arrived and so the weather has been a little cooler. Saturday night we were caught in a huge storm while walking to our house. The streets had rivers that were in some places knee-deep. The lightning was very strong and made huge flashes. We were completely soaked when we arrived home, bu I have never had such a fun experience. 
 
 
I love it here. I know that at first I always said that I never wanted to go to the coast because it was too hot, but while in Villa Nueva I felt ready to go. Now I am so glad that I could come here. There is no place more beautiful of our mission that I have seen and I feel fantastic about the area. I sometimes wonder why couldn`t I have come earlier? Funny right? Really I am so happy. We are always placed where we are needed and when we are needed, and also when we can definitely handle our circumstances. If I had come here at the beginning of the year I would have died of heat and would haven`t felt ready.
 
I still know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints is the church of Christ, the true church. It has the proper authority and the proper prophet. I know that Jesus Christ lives and guides us, and that the Book of Mormon and Bible testify of Him. I love you all.
Love Hermana Destinee Park
 
 
photo of our shower (so cool because it is just a faucet. We shower much faster, and it has cold water only)

No comments:

Post a Comment