"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, August 22, 2011

Some information from my (mom) personal email:  
My foot still has problems with aching but I have learned to endure it more or less. We have to travel much by foot because our area is large and we have to walk fast, which causes it to be bothered a bit, but it`s not too bad. 

The people here in the coast are really receptive. There are some that are set in their religions but many more that accept us. 

I have eaten a couple of new things like yellow coconut and icaco, of which I will tell you more about in a later email. The meals we eat are always different. The only thing I have eaten twice is a hamburger but that`s because there wasn`t anything else. There is something we drink called Licuados. They are good. They are basically like milkshakes or smoothies but come in huge glasses. I will take a picture and send it to you.  

I love basically everything here. The weather is hot but the air makes things easier, and also there is a lot of rain when it rains. Our area doesn`t see a lot of rain, but when it does rain we get soaked.

What I do not like is that the cockroaches are huge! They are like the size of a mouse. Also many times I am jumpy because there are always frogs on the ground outside or geckos running along the walls.  The iguanas enter our house because we have open windows. They can climb in. The one I saw was pretty cool.

Dear Family,
I forgot to tell you last week about my district and zone. In the district there are 3 companionships, four elders and us sisters, which includes Me and Hermana Marin, Elder Taylor and Elder Jimenez, and the DL, Elder Toledo, and his comp (It is a bit different so I still haven`t learned the name). In the zone there are about 16 or 18 missionaries, and we are the only sisters of the zone. Also, our zone is the smallest of the mission, I believe. Half of the zone will finish their missions in 6 months or less. 
 
Of the things I have tried this week are coconuts, fresh coconuts, which has a water that is tangy. It is like a natural soda drink. Our neighbor, and owner of the house, cut them down for us. I also tried Icaco, which is like a prune but green outside, and inside is like a wet flavorless cotton. There are always geckos on the walls here and frogs, or rather toads, on the ground. Also, nearer by the water there are cranes. 
 



 
 
I have been applicating the scriptures more. I read from Alma 17 about King Lamoni and Ammon. The missionaries are Ammon, the leaders of the church are the servants, the members are the flocks, and the negative influences are like the bad guys. Now read that chapter and put all of these into the story, and you`ll be able to understand better how I saw it this week. I really am grateful to be here and to experience all that I am experiencing. It is a little hard, I must admit, but I am enjoying it. 
 
Tomorrow we will be going to the ocean so I will have to tell you more about that the next Monday. 
 
Sorry because I thought that this would be a longer email, but I ran out of things to write about and time as well is short. I love you all.
 
Love Hermana Destinee Park

(We haven't seen Jorge for awhile!)


No comments:

Post a Comment