About her companion: I haven´t found out her full name yet. And I can´t remember where she´s from but she said she´s about an hour away from orem. She´s been out 15 months, so she´ll go home in October. She has to check on missionaries who get sick... basically what normal nurses do, but for missionaries.
About her area: My area has a lot of houses. The people are really friendly, I haven´t been chased by dogs, but there are a lot. The houses look pretty much the same- kind of like adobe and brick buildings of pink, white, yellow, blue, well almost any color. All of them are kind of dirty. The apartment is on a second level, our kitchen is outside, though covered, and the washing sink is outside as well. Everything is open- meaning there are no doors. There is something that walks on our roof sometimes, I think it´s a cat. The stove is a gas stove so I don´t know how to use it.
About shopping and food: Shopping was weird, but we bought cornflakes and granola, cheese and ham, bread, honey (yum)... We didn´t buy fruits or eggs because they are better to get at outside markets, or rather they probably are only available there. Hermana Earl cooks all of the hot meals at our apartment, but we don´t have to cook cereal :). For lunches we usually go to the Nolasco´s because Hermana Nolasco is our cook. We´ve had some interesting things- nothing gross though, well, almost. Yesterday I tried atol and I am not a fan. It´s a sweet drink, but it´s made with oatmeal, so it was like drinking oatmeal. But for lunch last week we had a soup made with potatoes, rice, chicken broth, and platanos. I love the platanos (you´ll probably hear this much). We get to learn how to make some deserts with platanos this week.
About those she is teaching: There are some of the people we teach that I can´t remember well or I haven´t understood a thing they say, but there are other families that I think are awesome. Last night we taught a family. Everyone in the family is a member of the church except the father, Roberto. The family has a great spirit of love. Roberto seems like he is ready but isn´t ready to take the step to be baptized. We also have a couple of other people that would be ready to be baptized if not for the smaller things. There´s Jessica, who keeps all her commitments but doesn´t come to Church. And then there´s Edna (she talks to us in English), who seems quite ready because she wants to be better, but she also hasn´t gone often to church and everytime the missionaries go to her house she talks a lot so the lesson is never finished. She has a son named Jorge, who is 9 years old and he hasn´t listened to any of the discussions because he just doesn´t want to listen, but when they went to church he really liked it. Our focus right now is how to involve him. Then there is Ana Maria, and the first night I entered her house, I looked around and thought, "This place looks very familiar". She and her husband remind me of Grandma and Grandpa Park. Her husband is a member, and she seems really ready to be baptized, but she still has some fears.
How she is feeling overall: Yesterday morning I felt homesick for the first time and was really sad, but I kept reading scriptures. I still bore my testimony in Church because I had been challenged last week to do it. For the first time I cried during the testimony because I was so uncomfortable and sad. But after sacrament meeting I started feeling better and by the end of the night I was happy again. It´s only mornings that are difficult for me. Nights are easy. The bishop of our ward is cool. He makes sure everyone feels welcome. We also have a teacher of the CCM that moved into our ward. His family is counted as less active though. I am learning so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment