"We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

papusa--2nd email on 8-24-2010

Well, first, some facts:
They use military time here. It is a good thing I know how to read military time. They call each other by their first names here so we don´t know any last names. Guatemala is one of the only countries in Central america that use the tú form. Most countries here use vos and mexico and south america use tú, but Guatemala has adquired several things from mexico. I tried another drink that originated here in Guatemala. It is made of cornmeal, and is sweet. It isn´t too bad but it´s hard to drink much of it at first, like the atol and the horchata. Hot chocolate is another popular drink here (happy me). Toilet paper does not go down the toilet in most places here. It goes into the trash can instead. People here love chocolate covered pan dulce and fruit, especially bananas. On sundays, even members buy things, and sometimes even we have to take the bus and therefore pay, which seems really weird to me because it feels like I am breaking the sabbath. I tried a candy of Guatemala that is like a hard candy but it has a creamy chocolate in the center. It has been raining a lot lately. I also learned how to make another food, but one of Salvador, called a papusa. It is a thick corn tortilla but with beans, meat, and cheese inside. Then a cabbage mixture, kind of like saurkraut and carrots, is put on top of them with salsa. They are good.

That young women I mentioned has a baptismal date set, but we are not sure how ready she is for when so we´ll see if it´s before the change in 2 weeks. She has had a lot of problems in her life. I have never seen someone so young who has been through so much. I stopped having problems with bug bites and they´ve mostly faded, but my left foot has been hurting. It needs rest but as a missionary that is difficult to do. I don´t have time to rest so I just try making the weight on it minimal and walking on flatter ground. 

Elder Lontine probably is one of the only missionaries through which you could get pictures of me because he is one of the 2 missionaries in the zone or area that have known me from before at the CCM. But if not, you´ll hopefully get some soon. I have stayed about the same in weight. Last Pday we went to Antigua, a tourist spot, as a zone. The ruins there are cool, as well as the churches there and the cobblestone roads.

Scriptures 2 Nephi 16:6-7, part of the Isaiah chapters but talks about repentance. It is not easy to repent. All of us like Isaiah, are impure and we must be purged of sin. It is sometimes a painful process. I am going to write to kade now. I will send letters to others through envelope. Love you all. This is the Lord´s work for sure and things work out differently than expected, but everything is in His time. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment